Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Explorations of Cereal Box Designs

Our first assignment this semester is to redesign a cereal box, with a focus on the use of text and the ways it can expressing meaning and emotion. My explorations began as all compute- generated. Here are a few examples: 
The large template shown is the entire template of the cereal box. I used this so I could get a feel of how it would look with my design and size for the design. So that is I wanted to wrap text around the box or anything I would be able to visualize it easier. So, I started off with very basic, quick text. Just playing with different fonts, getting a feel for each, how they make me respond. The first four represent that. Very simple fonts, maybe using two, and their location on the box is similar throughout them all, quiet and easy. I didn't use any color immediately, only focusing on design, adding color later if needed. 



The next several concepts I played more with the placing, sizing, and orientation of the fonts. I really like taking the shape of the letters, and putting other words or letters in the spaces they make. I stay fairly geometric with my placing, not really causing any organic shapes. And again, still not using color. 






The last few are my favorites and most developed. In the last I finally added some color. I also played with reflections and repetition. The colored "krispies" on the last is a edited copy of my own handwritting. I wanted to explore a more physical dimension of these concepts. And so far that one is my favorite and I will develop more off of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment